On Wednesday night, the only thing I could find in the fridge to cook was sweet potatoes. And bacon. And salad. So obviously I prepared the sweet potatoes and wrapped ’em in bacon. But there were three huge ones, so I figured while the oven was on, I’d roast a few other things that I also found in the fridge – like courgettes, onions and cherry tomatoes.
But it was all too much for dinner, so I packed my roasted veg in the fridge for the next day with the intention of making soup today. Then I went shopping and found a butternut squash and some coconut milk, so why not just shovel everything into the slow cooker and see what happens. I could leave this recipe at that – but that’s a bit lazy, isn’t it?
It’s rare that I cook without using herbs and spices – but thought with so many vegetables, I completely forgot about spices!
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 courgettes
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 carrots
- 1 apple
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of water or fresh chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Basically, I roasted in the oven the courgettes, cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic and sweet potato. (Toss ’em all in a li’l olive oil and then roast for about 30 to 40 minutes. I like ’em roasted quite black, you might not!
- Then I peeled, seeded and chopped the squash, chopped the carrots, peeled and chopped the apple and threw everything in the slow cooker: all veg, the coconut milk and 2 cups of water. You could also use chicken stock, but to be honest, there are so many flavours here not sure you need to! Up to you.
- Forget about it in the slow cooker on low for about 4-6 hours. Then blitz with a hand blender. Add more water if it’s too thick. (I had to.)
- Enjoy with parmesan ‘croutons’ like I did. Or however you enjoy soup.
- To be honest, this is one of those recipes that you can look at, then look in your fridge, then adapt. Don’t have courgette? Don’t worry. Add peppers. Need to use up some roasted parsnips? Throw them in.