Lunch today was a sandwich, of sorts. It was one of those days where I look in the fridge and am confronted with two chicken breasts and not much else. In my recent pineapple-obsession, I have tins of cut pineapple lying around, and there’s always bacon….
So sandwich it is. And it worked really well! The possibilities are endless for this one – you could do a ham and cheese sandwich, a BLT, a cheese and pickle… you get the idea.
For each sandwich you’ll need:
- chicken breast
- 2 slices of bacon
- 2 rings of pineapple
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- First, cook the bacon in a skillet until it’s crispy. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Butterfly the chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken in the same skillet in the tasty bacon fat. Cook for about 5 minutes on one side, then flip over and cook until done. This depends on how thick the chicken breast is. I covered the skillet and let the chicken steam/cook.
- Meanwhile, grill the pineapple rings on a grill pan, so you get those nice lines!
- Set them aside and once your chicken is more or less cooked, transfer it to the grill pan to soak up the pineapple juices for about 4 minutes. Also puts those lovely lines on the chicken.
- While everything is cooking, slice the tomato.
- As my butterflied chicken was still quite thick, I sliced it in half so I had two thinner bits of chicken more or less the same size.
- Smear the mayonnaise on one half and then assemble the chickwich: mayo, bacon, pineapple rings, tomato. Top with the other half.