First off, this recipe is NOT paleo. I know most of my recipes are paleo or primal to suit the grain-free diet. In fact, 90% of the time, this is how I eat. But in an effort to shove more fiber and carbs into my diet (I’m a bit of a carb-o-phob….). I decided to stick a little bit of oat bran in my day every once in a while. I’m actually following a program by The Metabolic Effect, (there’s a pretty interesting book, too) which I really like. The exercises are kicking my butt though! The Dukan Diet also recommends oat bran, and that shares a lot of similar properties to how I’m eating at the moment – slight carbs, low fat, high protein. More info about the Dukan Diet here from Positive Health Wellness.
But oat bran is stodgy! I tried mixing it with a vanilla protein powder in an energy shake before my workout. It ‘appeared’ to mix up fine and I drank up my shake. Then I realized there was all the oat bran sitting at the bottom of my cup, so I shovelled that in with a spoon. Not great… But oat bran ‘oatmeal’ was just a little to slow to prepare in the mornings before my workout. (It doesn’t take THAT long, but an extra 5 minutes in bed? I’ll take it.)
So I came up with these little grab and go delicacies…
- 90g oat bran
- 200g chopped and peeled apple (about one large apple)
- 4 egg whites
- 150g protein whey powder, vanilla flavoured
- 125g blueberries
- 125ml of water
- Preheat oven to 200*C.
- Throw the oatbran and apple into your food processor and mix it until the apple is virtually mush.
- Add the egg whites and the protein powder and mix some more and add water to suit. I used about 125ml to make it easier to spoon into muffin tins.
- Throw in the blueberries at the last minute and pulse quickly, you don’t want them demolished.
- Spoon the mixture into lightly greased muffin tins. This made 12 muffins.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until they are slightly browned on top.
- These would be DELICIOUS reheated and smeared with butter!!