Seriously, what an unimaginative name for this dish. Sorry. I had about half a red cabbage left over from the Broccoli Slaw that I made the other day and an awful lot of apples, so I figured I try cooking the cabbage. I don’t think I’ve ever cooked cabbage before. And I needed to distract myself for another hour or so while the chicken was still slow cooking.
- Half a red cabbage (or so… you know, I’m not very exact)
- 1 red apple
- 1 onion
- Tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 125ml of balsamic vinegar
- 100g of bacon
- Olive oil
- Throw some olive oil in a saucepan and add your fennel seeds and bacon, chopped up, to it. (I skipped the whole chopping the bacon bit cause I used one of those packs of pre-chopped bacon bits.)
- When it’s all brown, then add in your sliced onion and cook for another few minutes. Stir it often!
- Add in the peeled and chopped into chunks apple, stir about a bit. Then throw in the cabbage which you’ve roughly chopped.
- (I hope you are reading all these directions before starting to cook – otherwise you’ll be frantically peeling and chopping while cooking!)
- Add the balsamic vinegar, cover the saucepan, and cook on a low heat for about an hour. Stir it every once in a while to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan or anything!
- I threw in about a tablespoon of butter at the end of the cooking – cause I like butter. And it was rather nice and made it all shiny.