I’m on a meatball kick. But you know, different shaped meatballs. I had the idea for these from Cavegirl Cuisine’s Prosciutto-wrapped poppers. You’ll notice, of course, that the only thing these have in common with her poppers, is wrapping the dish in the ham – I didn’t actually have any jalapeños to hand. Also – hers look prettier. Actually, I think I might make those next week….
Anyway, I digress. These were a nice little saturday evening snack. And I loved the fact they were sorta green from the spinach! If you don’t have proscuitto or parma, I’m sure you could use bacon. Because, as I always say, bacon goes with everything.
(I made Bacon Vodka this weekend. I haven’t tried it yet. Truth be told, I’m a li’l scared….)
- 800g of minced meat (half pork and half beef)
- 150g fresh spinach leaves
- 1 spring onion (they are big here – so use maybe 3 or 4 regular spring onions…)
- 1 egg
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- Parma ham / proscuitto
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Put the spinach leaves, spring onion and garlic cloves in a food processor and whizz it up.
- Add your tomatoes, tomato paste, egg, and herbs to combine.
- Dump it out into a bowl with the ground meat and use your hands to combine it well.
- Take a handful of the meat mixture, form it into a sausage shape and wrap it in a slice of parma ham. Repeat until you’ve used all the meat mixture. Now, my parma ham was all stuck together so they aren’t totally pretty as it was slivers here and there of parma ham.
- Bake in the over on a rack above a baking tray for about 40 minutes. This way the fat drips off.
- Great hot or cold. I love stuff like that…!