I’ve been trying to fit in more protein into my diet. Obviously, this is usually in the form of meatballs. But on this occasion, I decided a sweet bite with some protein powder would work out quite well as a portable snack.
Really hits the spot sweet wise… doesn’t really tick the box proteinwise. But tasty nevertheless!
- 72g dates (about 12 dates), pits removed
- 90g roast almonds
- 60g vanilla protein powder
- 85g almond butter
- 30g dried cranberries
- 90g chopped blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Throw the dates with the coconut oil into the food processor and process for a minute or so…
- Then add the roast almonds, protein powder, almond butter, instant coffee and cocoa powder. Process well!
- The last step is to add the chopped blanched almonds and dried cranberries. You just want to pulse this to keep a bit of texture in here.
- On a sheet of wax paper, dump the mix out and mash it all together well. I folded the paper ’round a square block about 20cm x 20cm and 10cm high. Pack it well. Then stick it in the freezer for a while.
- Take it out of the freezer and then cut it into blocks. It’s pretty crumbly, so best to put the blocks back into the freezer. But super tasty!
- In case you fancy it, maybe melt some chocolate and dip these in chocolate – that would fix the crumbly problem… Although make ’em slightly less healthy.