When I was younger, I accidentally set fire to the oven. Burnt, crispy cheese was one of my favourite naughty snacks. I usually made it in the frying pan but one day I thought it might be easier to stick it in the oven in a foil tray. I’m sure that would have been successful if I hadn’t been distracted by something shiny in some other part of the house and forgotten about it until flames started emitting from the oven. The cheese was overdone and I stopped making myself that snack for a while.
Then I started with the whole low carb thing and I craved something crispy. I realised that the idea of a cracker made of crispy burnt cheese was no longer considered a naughty snack, but rather a viable option. Awesome. Then I took it one step further…. pizza crust.
This is not strictly ‘paleo’ per-se, as strict paleo is non-dairy. But it IS low carb, and if you don’t suffer funny things with dairy, then why not. It’s SO awesome.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 ounce (I used the kind in a can)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces Italian cheese blend or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Assorted toppings: pepperoni, ham, sausage, 4 ounce can mushrooms, green peppers, bacon, ground beef, etc. Anything is possible here. I used cooked chicken and satay sauce one – that was soooooo good.
- Dash of garlic pepper or garlic powder and some Italian seasoning for top of pizza
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Whisk in the eggs until the mixture is well-blended and smooth.
- Add the parmesan and seasonings, then stir in the 8 ounces of mozzarella until completely moistened.
- Spread the cheese mixture on one of those round silicon baking trays. Or a baking pan lined with non-stick paper. Trust me – you’ll thank me for the non-stickness.
- Bake at 190ºC 20-25 minutes or until evenly browned, but not too dark.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, until shortly before serving time.
- Spread the chilled crust with the pizza sauce, then the cheese and toppings of your choice.
- Lightly sprinkle with the seasonings of your choice.
- Stick under the grill for 15-20 minutes or until toppings are bubbly.
- Let stand a few minutes before cutting.