So earlier this week, I made my own italian sausage with my new meat grinder and had a delicious Sausage Loaf with half the results. I put the rest of the sausage meat in the freezer so I would have some left to make stuffing for Christmas Day.
I absolutely adore stuffing. It was always one of the highlights of Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners. And, when I first moved into my own place, there were quite a few days when I would get boxes of stuffing mix and have that for dinner. I’m not proud. But it was tasty!
Those days are over – a dish made mostly of bread is off the menu. But that doesn’t mean I can’t make my own sausage meat stuffing! And, except for the bread, it’s all basically the same. This makes enough for an army.. I’m sure that Sausage Stuffing Frittatas are in my future….
- 650g of italian sausage meat (or thereabouts – whatever is leftover from that recipe!)
- 90g of celery (about 3 stalks)
- 200g onion (about 2 large onions)
- 100g dried cranberries
- 6 dried figs
- 200g apple, peeled and chopped (about 2 small apples)
- 100g walnuts, chopped
- Cook up the sausage meat in a pan until, well, cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- While this is cooking, chop up the celery and onion. Add those to the pan that you just took the meat out of and cook it in the fat left from the meat. Cook until softened – about 5 or so minutes. Meanwhile, chop the apples.
- In a oven proof dish, mix up the cooked sausage meat, celery and onion mix, apples, chopped figs, walnuts and cranberries and combine well.
- Throw this in the oven with whatever else you are cooking and bake for about an hour at about 180*C.
- Actually, I made the stuffing on Christmas Eve. Then bunged it into the oven the next day while my pork was roasting. You could also make it ahead and stuff a turkey or whatever with it. Or make fritattas. Or mix it with leftover sweet potato and make a sorta hash… the possibilities are endless!