We went to Barcelona the other day to drop some friends off at the airport so took advantage of the fact we were there to do a bit of shopping. Yay for the AppleStore! (Ok – that was just browsing… anyway.) We popped into a HUGE supermarket called Carrefour Planet. Seriously, the price check girls were on rollerskates, that’s how big this place was.
But they had some stuff that we don’t normally find in supermarkets. Like wild boar. And venison. Even though these things are always in the restaurants at this time of year. So even though I’ve never cooked venison in my life, I had to try it. This is what I came up with…. Verdict was good – even The Other Half enjoyed it – but I’m thinking for regular day to day, I might try this with turkey meat. Very festive!
- 225g of venison, cubed
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into itty bitty pieces
- 1 giant spring onion or 3 normal spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp chopped chili (I used dried chillis but anything would work)
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- Mix together the sesame oil, ginger and chilli.
- In 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cook the venison in a wok for a few minutes until it starts to cook. Then add the sesame oil mixture. Stirfry for a bit then throw in your broccoli and onions.
- In the same container you mixed your sesame oil, add the stock cube, boiling water and arrowroot. Stir until all dissolved.
- Throw this into your wok along with the cranberries and cook for another 5 or 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender.