Had some friends visiting for a few days, which meant that we ate out quite a bit. Yay! But it also meant on Monday I realized that I needed to cook with what I could find in the fridge… which was all approaching the Best Before date. This inspired me to create something. Because we all know what a fan of meat and fruit I am… and a fan of meatballs. But these are different! These are muffins! Totally different.
They are super simple as well, which means you can put them together in no time and have them ready throughout the week for snacks.
Of course, if you wanted to make ’em into meatballs… you could. Or even a meatloaf. Or meat squares… or whatever.
Nice kick on the end of these… that’ll be the chipotle.
- 720g of ground pork
- 240g of chorizo (I emptied some fresh chorizo sausages for this. Messy job, but it worked!)
- 1 chopped onion (about 70g)
- 3 nectarines, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Preheat oven to 200*C.
- Throw the onion and nectarines in the food processor and process. Then add the chorizo sausage meat. Like I said, I emptied the sausages to make this. Also – because it was ready prepared sausage meat, I avoided adding any other spices. Keep it simple! (For once.)
- Process a bit and then, in a separate bowl, mix the onion, nectarine, chorizo mix with the ground pork. Mash about with your hands until well mixed. Then add the chipotle powder and mix it lightly with a wooden spoon or something. (I’m just trying to save your hands here… otherwise you’ll get the chilli powder under your nails and… well, that’s just not good, y’know.)
- Form the mixture into the portions you want. I made about 12 muffins in a silicon muffin tray.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- Then, here’s the trick….
- These are fatty, so when they are baked, I pulled them out of the muffin trays, leaving all that grease behind, and stuck them on a wire rack upside down in the oven and baked for another 5 minutes.
- This allows the fat to drain off for a less fatty snack. Chorizo can be very very fatty.
- Enjoy hot or cold!