And again I find myself cooking at someone else’s house. Over in the UK for a week for 2 reasons – first, I rode 77 miles for the Kilo To Go Flat Out On The Fens cycle ride. I have managed to raise just over
£650 £1000 for Cancer Research UK which I’m very pleased with. I’m also very pleased to say I completed the cycle ride (albeit slowly) and have suffered no ill effects except for a bit of sunburn. (Yes, in England!)
The second reason I’m over here is because tonight (Friday, 22nd of June), my band Viki Vortex and the Cumshots are opening the Brighton Breakout International Pop Punk Festival. How ’bout that – a cycle ride and a punk gig, what a combination.
Anyway. You’re here for recipes. So on the Tuesday after my ride, I was craving veg. (I know, right??) And in the broken fridge was some leftovers from the stir fry I made the night before. Lunch was this strange Lebanese Greens and Bacon – everything is better with bacon.
- Half a pack of pre-cut ‘greens’ which looks like it was some sort of bok choy or whatever. You could use pretty much any green leafy veg. I was in awe in the supermarket at the selection of vegetables here. I still am pleased that I can only get stuff that’s ‘in season’ in Spain, but still cool to see such a selection
- 2 chopped red onions
- 1 yellow pepper
- about 15 mushrooms – sliced
- 6 slices of British back bacon (you could use regular crispy bacon – I prefer that – but this is what I found!)
- 2 handfuls of bean sprouts
- Lebanese 7 spice mix (about a tablespoon or 2….) This contains equal parts of ground Allspice, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Ground Nutmeg, Fenugreek
- Chop up the bacon and cook it up in a wok or frying pan. Sprinkle the 7 spice over the bacon while it’s cooking.
- Add the chopped onion and pepper. Cook up for a bit. Add the chopped mushrooms. Then toss in the greens and bean sprouts and cover the pan to let it steam cook for about 5 or 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add a bit more spice at the end, just for good measure.
- Serve up!