In my perusal of many paleo/primal/low carb recipe sites, I kept running across “Broccoli Slaw”. But it was always mentioned in passing – you know, like ‘serve with some broccoli slaw’ or whatnot. Finally I decided to look up the recipe. I found Asian Broccoli Slaw from The Food Lover’s Kitchen and in their awesome book, Make it Paleo (which has pride of place in my kitchen!). And I almost followed directions – but not quite. Because, see, I don’t have coconut aminos and can’t get them here in Spain. Sad face. I also couldn’t be bothered to measure stuff.
- Head of broccoli
- half a red cabbage, or thereabouts
- large green onion which is like a medium regular onion here in Spain….
- teaspoon of chopped garlic
- teaspoon of chopped ginger
- chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, tamari sauce, coconut aminos (if you’re lucky to find them, I guess!)
- Tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
- Shred (!) the broccoli, the cabbage and the onion in your food processor. I had to do this a li’l bit at a time due to my mini food processor. I should really invest in a proper sized food processor!
- Throw that in a big bowl and mix it up.
- I used the food processor and added the dressing ingredients (to use up the stuff I couldn’t scrap out) – garlic, ginger, chilli, sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Throw that in with your shredded veg, and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
- Easy or what! And it makes tons – so you’ll be having it as a side dish for a few more days! Yay!